Monday, January 27, 2020

Default reminders

In our house we maintain many structured sets of reminders, some based on topic, some on 'the type of store', etc and we share them because you never know who will be in a position to do the buying. We make a shared list of tourist-highlights that we check off when we go visiting a new city. We even have a shared list of "all the hardware we need to pack when we are going away", now that that entails several dozen power adapters, cables, etc.

So, I upgraded to Catalina. With some trepidation I pushed the "Upgrade My Reminders" button and assumed Apple would handle things properly. Looking at the settings, I see that no, they have screwed up my "default list".

And looking closer, it looks like I can no longer choose any of my shared lists as the default.



Note, the only shared list in the popup is the current one.  None of the other entries in the popup are shared.  Given that my default list used to be "Supermarket" and I can't select that any more, functionality suffers again.

Once again, Apple demonstrate that "Sharing" really is just something they bolted on as an after thought, and its certainly something that they can't be testing in any serious way, much less thinking about during design/coding.

And no, I'm not interested in the answer "unshare it, then select it as default, then share it again".  I don't want a workaround, I want this software to be as polished and functional as Apple claim it is.

You know where this is going, of course?  So, I did unshare one of the lists but it didn't reappear in the popup, because of course, they populate that at startup, not when the status of a list entry changes.  So, unshare / exit Reminders app / set default / share again.

What is this, Windows 95?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated. No spam, offensive language, politics, etc. Stay on topic and it'll probably get through.